Robert Stephen Paul Beekes (Dutch: [ˈbeːkəs]; 2 September 1937 – 21 September 2017) was a Dutch linguist who was professor of comparative Indo-European linguistics at Leiden University and the author of many monographs on the Proto-Indo language. European. Robert Beekes also worked on Pre-Greek, the language he called non-Indo-European, spoken in Greece before Greek, according to him probably around 2000 BC. Since this language was not written, Beekes took his information from many words in classical Greek that show a non-Greek structure and development. One of these words is *ἀδάμας , whose etymology I deduced in 2014 without reading his book. I wrote in this blog: "Do linguists know that ἀδάμας – adámas of old Greek exists in today's Albanian in the form of "pa ndam"? When I read his book and these very words, I was stunned. How can a linguist of such a level not understand this word and its origin. Beekes writes: "Adamas, hard metal? Diamond? Derived from...
Linguistic Glob is a scholarly platform dedicated to the critical examination of linguistic history, etymology, and the origins of language. Its research-oriented discussions address the theoretical foundations and methodological approaches. Copyright © 2024 Fatmir Iliazi

Comments
Post a Comment