For more than three months now, Albanians have been taking to the streets not to fight over a political seat or a share of power, but to defend their dignity, their public property, and their right to live in a truly democratic country.
For more than three decades, Albania’s political system has been dominated by figures such as Edi Rama and Sali Berisha. For the protesters, the time has come to break this cycle and demand accountability for public assets that, in their view, have been stolen, abusively privatized, or handed over to political allies and well-connected businessmen.
Albania does not belong to politicians.
The wealth and public property of the Albanian people are not spoils to be divided among politicians, those in power, and businessmen connected to them.
This pattern, protesters argue, goes back to the privatization process that began in 1991 and continued through successive governments, with allegations of public land and state assets being transferred to political supporters, patronage networks, and well-connected individuals.
The state is not a private business. Public property is not political currency. And Albania is not anyone’s personal estate.
The protesters are demanding justice, transparency, independent investigations into public assets, political and legal accountability, and a democracy in which no one is above the law.
There is also something else I feel compelled to raise.
Since I began publicly supporting these protests, I have noticed what appears to be a significant change in the reach and visibility of my posts. I do not know who, if anyone, is responsible, or whether this is the result of deliberate action or something else. But I have preserved evidence showing the views and reach of my posts before and after I began expressing support for the protests.
I am not making an accusation without proof. I am simply asking questions and presenting the evidence I have. In any genuine democracy, people should be free to express their political views without fearing that their voices will be deliberately silenced or hidden.
Do not give up.Do not remain silent.
Do not accept injustice as normal.
Comments
Post a Comment